From Anglo-Saxon times to the 19th Century a 'hundred' was a unit of 'local government' common south of the river Tees. It was a sub-division of the shire, it corresponded to the "wapentakes" of the Danelaw. It varied in size from area to area, hundreds may have originated from the grouping of a hundred "hides", these emerged as administrative units in the 10th century. Hundred courts, which met every four weeks, had jurisdiction in cases relating to local issues and apportioned taxes.
When the Domesday Book was compiled the land a given village owned was measured in "hides". A "hide" was reckoned at 120 acres.
The Chiltern Hundreds consists of three hundreds, Stoke, Desborough and Burnham, in south central England. An MP cannot resign his seat, but if he wishes to retire he may apply for one of two stewardships, the holder of which, since he becomes a paid member of the crown, may not, since 1707, sit in parliament. There were formerly several such stewardships, but since 1957 there have only been two, the Chiltern Hundreds and the Manor of Northstead in Yorkshire. This lead to the phrase "Taking the Chiltern Hundreds".
The following is a list of hundreds in 1929 in the county of Cambridgeshire, with the parishes contained in them. A map is available showing the position of each hundred within the county.
|Armingford||Abington-in-the Clay or Abington Pigotts, Bassingbourn, Croydon-cum-Clapton, East Hatley, Guilden Morden, Litlington, Melbourn, Meldreth, Royston (part of), Shingay, Steeple Morden, Tadlow, Wendy, and Whaddon.|
|Chesterton||Chesterton, Childerley, Cottenham, Dry Drayton and Histon.|
|Cheveley||Ashley-cum-Silverley, Cheveley, Kirtling, Newmarket All Saints, and Wood Ditton.|
|Chilford||Babraham, Castle Camps, great Abington, Great Bartlow, Hildersham, Horseheath, Linton, Little Abington, Pampisford, Shudy Camps, and West Wickham.|
|Ely (Isle of Ely)||Downham and Littleport.|
|Flendish||Cherry Hinton, Fen Ditton, Fulbourn All Saints and St. Vigors, Horningsea, and Teversham.|
|Longstow||Bourn, Caldecote, Caxton, Croxton, Eltisley, Gamblingay, Great Eversden, Hardwick, Hatley St. George, Kingston, Little Eversden, Little Gransden, Longstow, and Toft.|
(Isle of Ely)
|Chatteris, Doddington, March, St. Mary and St. Andrew Whittlesey.|
|Northstow||Girton, Impington, Landbeach, Lolworth, Long Stanton All Saints, Long Stanton St. Michael, Madingley, Milton, Oakington, Rampton, and Waterbeach.|
|Papworth||Boxworth, Conington, Elsworth, Fen Drayton, Graveley, Knapwell, Over, Papworth St. Agnes, Papworth St. Everard, Swavesey, and Willingham.|
|Radfield||Balsham, Brinkley, Burrough Green, Carlton-cum-Willingham, Dullingham, Stetchworth, West Wratting, West Waterless, and Weston Colville.|
(Isle of Ely)
|Coveney, Grunty fen, Haddenham, Manea Chapelry, Mepal, Sutton, Stretham, Welches Dam, Wentworth, Wiburton, Witcham, and Withford.|
|Staine||Bottisham, Great Wibraham, Little Wilbraham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Swaffham Prior, and Stow-cum-Quy.|
|Staploe||Burwell, Chippenham, Fordham, Isleham, Kennett, Landwade, Snailwell, Soham, and Wicken.|
|Thriplow||Foulmire, Foxton, Great Shelford, Harston, Hauxton, Little Shelford, Newton, Stapleford, Thriplow, and Trumpington.|
|Wetherley||Arrington, Barrington, Barton, Comberton, Coton, Grantchester, Harleton, Haslingfield, Orwell, Shepreth, and Wimpole.|
|Whittlesford||Duxford, Hinxton, Ickleton, Sawston, and Whittlesford.|
(Isle of Ely)
|Elm, Leverington, Newton, Outwell, Oarson Drove, Chapelry, Thorney, Tydd St. Giles, upwell, Wisbech St. Mary, and Wisbech St. Peter.|
|All Saints, Holy Sepulchre, Holy Trinity, St. Andrew the Great, St. Andrew the Less, St. Benedict, St. Botolph, St. Clement, St. Edward, St. Giles, St. Mary the Great, St. Mary the Less, St. Michael, and St. Peter.|
|Ely City||Ely College, Ely St. Mary, Ely Trinity, and Ely Westmoor Fen.|
| Cambridgeshire 1839
| Cambridgeshire 1929 | About
the Parishes | Towns &
Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Timeline| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com