Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets


Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

WITCHAM, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (W>) from Ely, containing 473 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 11. 0½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Martin.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868

This parish, lying between Witchford and Mepal, contains 2,800 acres; population about 520. The vicarage is in the gift of the dean and chapter of Ely, and held by the Rev. R. W. Packer. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for rent charges: rectorial, £595.; vicarial £116., besides which there are 19 acres of globe land. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Witcham page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

WITCHAM is a parish standing on a hill about three-quarters of a mile from the high road from Ely to Chatteris, about 2 miles north-east from Sutton station, on the Ely and St. Ives branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and about 6 west from Ely, in the South Witchford hundred, Ely union, petty sessional division and county court district, in the isle of Ely, the rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Martin, erected in the 13th century, is a structure of brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel (restored in 1915), nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, restored in 1912, and containing one bell: there is a Norman font with curious carved figures, a carved stone pulpit and an oak screen: the nave was thoroughly restored in 1897, new roofed and reseated in oak: the chancel was restored in 1923 by I the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1663. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Mepal annexed, joint net yearly value 049, including 69 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1922 by the Rev. John William Robson L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. There is a small Wesleyan chapel, rebuilt in 1898. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, are the principal landowners. The soil is gravel; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and oats. The area is 2,205 acres; the population in 1921 was 251 in the civil and 307 in the ecclesiastical parish. By an Order which came into operation March 25, 1885, detached parts of this parish were amalgamated with Coveney, Mepal and Manea, the latter in North Witchford union: at the same date detached parts of Ely St. Mary's, Ely Trinity and Witchford were amalgamated with this parish.

WITCHAM GRAVEL is a civil parish, farmed by an Order of the Isle of Ely County Council February 5, 1896. It is included in the Urban District of Ely. The area is 399 acres; the population in 1921 was 9.

Wolvey Hills and Wolvey Holes, in Witcham civil parish, are reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

*** To be completed ***

Military History

The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster

© Copyright - 2000- -