Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Hatley St George

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

HATLEY (ST. GEORGE), a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (E. N.E.) from Potton, containing 105 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 8, and in the patronage of J.W. Quintin, Esq.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Hatley St George page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

Hatley St George Church

HATLEY ST. GEORGE is a parish, 2 miles east from Gamlingay station on the Bedford and Cambridge line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 10 north-west from Royston and about 14 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstow, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. George, built in 1352 and standing in Hatley park, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave and a lofty embattled western tower, rebuilt in 1625, and containing 2 bells : there are memorials of the family of St. George, baronets, including a brass with effigy in armour to Sir Baldwin St. George, who died in 1425 the church was restored by the late John Carbery Evans esq. J.P. and re-opened in 1878, and affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1569.

Hatley Park is the seat of Ernest Ridgill esq. who is lord of the manor and the principal landowner; the mansion is of brick with stone dressings in the Italian style of the early 18th century, and stands in a well-wooded park of 300 acres. The soil is clay subsoil, boulder clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,011 acres of laud and inland water; the population in 1921 was 67.

HAYLEY WOOD is a mile north.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

In LONGSTOW Hundred.

In HATLEY (St. George) Aelmer holds 1 virgate from the Count. Land for 2 oxen. The value is and always was 2s 4d.

In HATLEY (St. George) Eudo holds 1 hide. Land for 1 plough; but it is not recorded there. In lordship 3 virgates and 10 acres, with 3 smallholders with 20 acres. Wood for fences. Value 5s; when acquired 10; before 1066, 20s. 2 Freemen of Robert son of Wymarc held this land and could sell.

In HATLEY (St. George) Roger holds 2 hides from Picot. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1; 4 smallholders with 6 cottagers and 1 villager have ½ plough; {another] ½ possible. Wood for fences and houses. 3 villagers. Value 20s; when acquired 60s; before 1066 10s. Alfward, Robert son of Wymarc's man, held this land and could sell.

In the same village Picot holds 1 hide. Land for 1 plough; ½ plough there; [another] ½ possible. Wood for fences and houses. 3 villagers. Value 10s; when acquired 20s; before 1066 40s. 3 Freemen of King edward's held this land; they found 1 cartage and 2 escorts for the Sheriff. Picot states he had this in exchange for Rushden, which Sigar holds.

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com