Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
FOULMIRE, a parish in the hundred of THRIPLOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 51/2 miles (N. E.) from Royston, containing 541 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeacomy and diocese of Ely, rated in the kings books at £29. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Hardwicke. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There was anciently a market at this place.
FOWLMERE, in Domesday Book Fugelesmare, is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Royston, 2½ south-east from the Shepreth station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway, and 9 south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Thriplow, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Barton, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The cemetery, on the Shepreth road, comprises 1 acre of ground, given by the late F. M. Beldam-Johns esq. and has a chapel, erected in 1912; it is under the control of the Parish Council.
The church of St. Mary is a fine structure of flint in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, transepts, north porch and a lofty embattled central tower containing 5 bells; there are two memorial windows, and there is also a monument to the Mitchell family, dated 1745 and 1748: the church was restored during the period 1870-90, at a cost of about £3,000, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561
The Congregational chapel was erected in 1780: in 1870 an apse was added and an organ purchased: the chapel underwent a thorough restoration in 1878, at a cost of about £1,100, this sum including the erection of a turret containing a clock and bell: there are 409 sittings. In the village is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1919 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
The soil and subsoil are chalky and gravelly. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans and green crops. The area is 2,272 acres ; the population in 1921 was 494.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In THRIPLOW Hundred.
In FOWLMERE 2 men-at-arms hold 1 hide from Count Alan. Land for 1 plough and 2 oxen. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 20s; before 1066, 25s. Edeva held this land; this land found 2 escorts for the Sheriff.
Robert holds FOWLMERE himself. It answers for 10 hides. Land for 11 ploughs. In lordship 5 hides; 2½ ploughs there. 22 villagers with 10 smallholders have 8½ ploughs. 4 slaves; 1 mill at 10s 8d; meadow for all the ploughs; pasture for the village livestock and 10d. The total value is and always was £12. Aelfric Kemp held this manor from King Edward.
In THRIPLOW Hundred (these men) swore, namely
and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of the Hundred swore.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com