Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Dullingham

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

DULLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of RADFIELD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3¾ miles (S. by W.) from Newmarket, containing 625 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 12.15.5. Mrs. Pigott was patroness in 1828. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a school with an endowment of about 4 per annum, the gift of Borradill Millicent, in 1678.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Dullingham page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

DULLINGHAM is a parish and village, with station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 68 miles fron London, 4 south-west from Newmarket and 10 east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Radfield. Union, petty sessional division and county court district of Newmarket, rural deanery of Cheveley and arch deaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: in the chancel are several fine monuments to the Jeaffreson family, dating from 1733, one of which bears a recumbent figure in white marble of Lieut.-General Christopher Jeaffreson, d. 22 Oct. 1824 there is also a tablet to Henrietta, wife of Anthony 11th Viscount Gormanston, and subsequently of Lieut. General Christopher Jeaffreson, d. 6 Feb. 1826: the church was restored during the period 1884-90, at cost of 68o, and an organ provided at a further cost of 200, and in 1899 the oak roof was repaired at cost of 800 : a pulpit of Grecian marble was presented in 1905 by A. C. W. Dunn-Gardner esq, of Denston Hall, Suffolk, in memory of the late Mr. Dunn-Gardner: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558.

There is a small Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

The soil is various; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,387 acres; the population in 1921 was 645.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1883]

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page.

Domesday Book Entry

In RADFIELD Hundred.

The Abbot of St. Wandrille's holds DULLINGHAM from the King. 6 hides. Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 3 hides; 3 ploughs there. 17 villagers and 10 smallholders with 9 ploughs. 2 slaves; meadow for 1 plough; woodland, 100 pigs; pasture for the livestock. Total value £12; when acquired £15; before 1066 £15. Earl Algar held this land.

In DULLINGHAM 2 men-at-arms hold 2 hides and 10 acres from the Count. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 2 villagers; 9 smallholders; 2 slaves. Meadow for 2 oxen. The value is and was 44s. 3 Freemen held this land; they could not withdraw.

In DULLINGHAM Hardwin holds 2 hides less 20 acres. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 7 villagers; 1 smallholder. Woodland, 4 pigs. The value is and always was 40s. 16 Freemen held this land; they could grant and sell their land; however, they found cartage.

In DULLINGHAM the Countess holds 10 acres, with 1 smallholder. Value 12d.

In RADFIELD Hundred these (men) swore

Manfrid Adestan of WESTON (COLVILLE)
David of BALSHAM GRIM of (WEST) WRATTING
William, WALTER (of GRANDCOURT)'s man Algar of DULLINGHAM
Ralph of CLUNY Pinna of BALSHAM

and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com