Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
DRAYTON (DRY), a parish in the hundred of CHESTERTON, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Cambridge, containing 42O inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £21.1.3., and in the patronage of the Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. There is a school supported by donations from the Rev. Richard Haslop, in 1729, and Elizabeth Hetherington, in 1777. producing about £7. 17.6. per annum.
DRY DRAYTON is a parish, 3½ miles south-west from Oakington station on the St. Ives and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway and 7 north-west from Cambridge station, in the hundred and union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery North Stowe, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the north aisle was added and the whole fabric restored in 1859, a the ancient tower in 1874, at a cost of £200: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Samuel Smith D.D. dean of Christ Church, Oxford, prebendary of Durham and formerly rector here 1831-41, and has in a lunette at the bottom a kneeling figure of the rector in surplice and hood: the organ, erected in 1881, was rebuilt in 1928 : near the west end are two windows of the Decorated period, with transoms, and the south doorway is of the same date : there are 200 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1565.
There is Primitive Methodist chapel.
This parish has two manors - Coventry, held on a lease of lives under the Bishop of Ely, and Crowlands, of which the Rev. Richard Winkfield M.A. is lord. The land of the parish is vested in several proprietors, the chief of whom are T.F. Hooley esq. and Trinity College, Cambridge.
The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, gault and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,421 acres; the population in 1921 was 350.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In CHESTERTON Hundred
The Abbot of Crowland holds 7½ hides in (Dry) DRAYTON. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 4 hides and 3 virgates; 1 plough there; a second possible. 11 villagers and 5 smallholders with 3 ploughs; a fourth possible. 4 cottagers. Meadow for 2 ploughs. The value is and was £3 10s; before 1066, 100s. This land lies and lay in the lordship of St. Guthlac's Church.
In (Dry) DRAYTON the monks of Swaesey hold 3 hides under Count Alan. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 5 villagers with 2 cottagers have 2 ploughs. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 40s; before 1066, 60s. Edeva held this land.
In (Dry) DRAYTON Payne holds 5 hides and 3 virgates from Hardwin. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 9 villagers with 3 smallholders have 2 ploughs; a third possible. 7 cottagers; meadow for 2 ploughs. Value of this land £4; when acquired 100s; before 1066 £6. 19 Freemen held this land. 6 of them, King Edward's men, had 2 hides less ½ virgate; they found 6 escorts for the Sheriff and could grant their land. 4 others, Edeva's men, had 1½ hides; they could withdraw without jurisdiction. 5 others were the Abbot of Ely's men; 4 of them held 1 hide and could sell without the jurisdiction; the fifth had ½ virgate under the Abbot, but could not sell. The other 4 were St. Guthlac's men; they held 1 hide and 1 virgate from the Church's household evenue.
In (Dry) DRAYTON Asgot holds 3 hides from Robert. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1; 4 villagers with 1 smallholder have 2 ploughs. Meadow for 3 ploughs. Value 40s; when acquired 13s 4d; before 1066 60s. Sigar, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land and could withdraw whither he would with the jurisdiction.
In (Dry) DRAYTON Roger holds 3 virgates from the Countess. Land for 4 oxen; they are there; Meadow for the oxen themselves. 1 villager. Value 16s; qwhen acquired 30s; before 1066, 20s. A man of Earl Waltheof's held this land and could sell.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page.
|Dry Drayton is a parish in Cambridgeshire, England, situated about seven miles West of the University City of Cambridge and astride the Greenwich Meridian. Dry Drayton 2000 is a group established to celebrate the unique local nature of this parish and its community in the Millennium year.|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com