Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
COMBERTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5¾ miles (W.S.W.) from Cambridge, containing 383 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the kings books at £6. 18. 11½., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
COMBERTON is a parish, bounded on the south by the Bourn brook, about 2 miles north-west from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, and 5-and-a-half west-south-west from Cambridge, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wetherly, union of Chesterton, Cambridge petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Early English and later styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the chancel arch and south arcade of the nave are Early English, the north aisle and clerestory Perpendicular and the tower Decorated; the interior is seated with open benches, elaborately carved with tracery; the rood stairs and doorway remain and there is an octagonal Early English font; the church was repaired in 1850 and restored in 1877-8 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and has since been further restored in 1884-5; the total cost amounting to £981: there are 300 sittings, 240 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1560; burials, 1561.
The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, chalk and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,954 acres; rateable value, £1,844; the population in 1891 was 453.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]
Domesday Book Entry
In WETHERLEY Hundred.
COMBERTON is a lordship village of the King's. 2½ hides. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 2; a third possible. 7 villagers and 5 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Meadow for 2 ploughs. It pays 100s at face value; before 1066 it paid as much. This land was always in the King's revenue. With these 2 hides is ½ virgate which a Freeman holds who was not there before 1066. Value then 2s, now 12d. This man was under Earl Waltheof.
In COMBERTON 2 men hold 2 hides and 2 acres from Picot. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; 7 villagers with 11 smallholders have 2 ploughs. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 60s; before 1066 £4. 7 Freemen of King edward's held 1 hide and 1 virgate of this land; they found 5 cartages and 3 escorts. 2 other Freemen had 3 virgates and could withdraw; one of them was Archbishop Stigand's man, the other Ear Waltheof's man.
William of Keynes holds 1½ virgates in COMBERTON. Land for 1 plough; but the plough is not there. Meadow for 1 plough; 1 villager. The value is and always was 10s. A man of Earl Waltheof's held this land; he could grant and sell. The Bishop of Bayeux delivered this land to William, but the men of the Hundred do not know for what reason.
Erchenger the baker holds 1 hide less 20 acres in COMBERTON from the King. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; ½ hide less 20 acres. 4 villagers with 8 smallholders have 1 plough. 1 slave; meadow for 4 oxen. Value 30s; when acquired 20s; before 1066, 40s. 3 freemen held this land. one of them, the King's man, had 1 virgate and found ½ cartage; the second, Archbishop Stigand's man, (had) 1½ virgates; the third, Waltheof's man, (had) 1½ virgates; they could sell and withdraw.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com